At Albec Roofing LTD, we are experts in all things roofing. Whether you need to repair a chimney, replace your slate roof or you’d like to install a skylight or Velux window, we have got you covered. So contact our friendly team today to learn more about our services.
In this blog, we are going to discuss what you need to know before you install a skylight. We will go over the benefits, drawbacks and everything you need to look out for when deciding whether or not a skylight or Velux window is for you.
What is a Skylight?
A skylight is a window installed on your roof that lets light into your home. They are usually made of glass or plastic and are either fixed or operable. This means they can be opened to let fresh air in. Skylights are a great way to improve the natural lighting in your home. They bring in light from above, unlike traditional windows which let light in from the side.
Benefits of Installing a Skylight
- Improve Natural Lighting – One of the main reasons people install skylights is to improve the natural lighting in their homes. By bringing in light from above, skylights can brighten up any room in your home and make it feel more open and spacious.
- Save on Energy Bills – As skylights improve the natural lighting in your home, you may find that you don’t need to use artificial lighting as much during the day. This can help you save on your energy bills as you won’t be using as much electricity to power lights.
- Increase Ventilation – If you install an operable skylight, you will also be able to increase the ventilation in your home. This is because you can open the skylight to let fresh air in, which is great for circulating air and keeping your home feeling comfortable.
- Enhance Your Home’s Aesthetics – Skylights can also enhance the aesthetics of your home. They can add character and charm, and they can make your home feel more unique.
Drawbacks of Installing a Skylight
Of course, there are also some drawbacks to installing a skylight in your home. Whilst these can unnerve some people, it is important to understand that with the right care, any issues can be overcome easily. Here are some things to consider:
- Cost – One of the main drawbacks of installing a skylight is the cost. Skylights can be quite expensive, and you will need to factor in the cost of installation when considering whether or not to install one.
- Maintenance – Another thing to consider is the maintenance required for a skylight. You will need to regularly clean the skylight to keep it looking its best, and you may also need to have it repaired or replaced at some point.
- Leaks – One of the biggest concerns with skylights is leaks. If your skylight is not installed properly, it could leak and cause water damage to your home. Make sure you hire a professional to install your skylight to avoid this problem.
- Heat Loss – Another downside of skylights is that they can cause heat loss in your home. In the winter, the cold air from outside can seep in through the skylight and make your home colder. This can be remedied by installing a skylight cover or blinds, but it’s something to keep in mind nonetheless.
Things to Consider When Installing a Skylight
If you’ve decided that a skylight is right for you, there are some things you need to consider before having one installed. Here are some things to think about:
- Location – The first thing you need to consider is the location of the skylight. You need to make sure the skylight will be in a spot where it will get enough light without being too close to trees or other obstacles.
- Size – The next thing to consider is the size of the skylight. You need to make sure the skylight is big enough to let in enough light, but not too big that it will overwhelm the room.
- Type – There are two main types of skylights: fixed and operable. Fixed skylights are stationary and cannot be opened, while operable skylights can be opened to let in the fresh air. Choose the type of skylight based on your needs and preferences.
- Budget – As we mentioned before, skylights can be quite expensive. Make sure you have a budget in mind before having a skylight installed.
- Hiring a Professional – We always recommend hiring a professional to install your skylight. This is because improper installation can lead to leaks and other problems down the road.
If you would like to install a skylight in your home, then contact our professionals at Albec Roofing LTD. We would be happy to help you choose the right skylight for your home and install it professionally and safely. We will work closely with you to ensure that installing a skylight is the right decision for you and make sure that it works for your home.
Article: Phoenix Marketing